Amazon

Monday, November 10, 2014

Grandmas Reaction to Jasmine being Autistic



I invited my grandmother over to help me try to figure out this thrifty buy sewing machine I got a few weeks ago. She come with her friend and was working on the sewing machine then mentioned my sister told her that Jasmine went to the hospital and she wanted to know what it was about. So I told her sometimes Jasmine gets high fevers, that I can't really control at home so sometimes I need to take her to the hospital just so they can get her fever down. She asked me why Jasmine got the fever in the first place and at this point it's unknown they couldn't find anything wrong with her at the hospital.

So she starts going on and on about how she thinks the doctors are making up stories when it comes to Jasmine. I asked her what she's talking about, and she said like the epilepsy and the fevers. I don't really know what she meant, but I know she doesn't have internet and she doesn't read my blog. So I wanted to tell her that the doctors are saying now Jasmine has autism. As soon as I tell her she starts to disagree. No matter how many times I try to educate her on signs of autism, or what autism is it just doesn't stick. 



Now I love my grandma to death , but I kind of think there's a point when she should just shut up. I have known my son to be autistic since he was about 13 months old. He is very severe on the spectrum, and displays most textbook signs of autism. When the doctor started explaining to me what signs Jasmine has it started to click. Because Dylan shows them signs plus more. For the past two years almost I've always thought of autism as being as severe as Dylan is. The first thing I said to the doctor was, "what do you mean shes autistic she doesn't act anything like Dylan?" So I did need a little nudge from the doctor to see it in Jasmine. It just really upset me that she thinks that I don't know what I'm talking about or the doctor, and she acts like she doesn't want to hear it. I just don't want my kids to be outcast-ed by family members, because they're already outcast-ed enough by other people. The other day I had a little kid come over and be scared of my son because he doesn't talk, but he's learned to be social and so he likes to give hugs. Hugs give him the deep pressure that he seeks all the time. But he scared the little boy because he's different. And for children that's okay. They're not going to understand it and I understand that. But for you to explain it to a family member over and over and over, and they still act like they're not hearing you. It's just really upsetting.
.
I really want my grandma to understand my kids, she thinks autism is worse then it is. She feels so bad for me , sometimes she's even in tears when she talks about it. No matter how many times I tell her I got this, it isn't difficult for me because it's all I've known. I don't know what it's like to have a typical child. I would probably be bored if I did. No offence.

She calls Jasmine schizophrenic and Jasmine isn't. Just because Jasmine's first diagnosis was unspecified psychoses doesn't mean that she has that. And she will tell people Jasmine has that.
I don't know I guess my point is to me people uneducated about mental illness should leave it to the professionals. Jasmine has tons on doctors she sees and they all share opinions with each other. I know sometimes doctors sometimes get it wrong, but when you got 3 or 4 of them saying the exact same thing, come on, Right? 

Thanks for listening to my rant and thanks for stopping by
Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment, I love them :)