Amazon

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Why is cable TV so expensive?

     I decided to go without cable from now on, well at least the TV portion of it. We were paying $210 a month towards the cable bill in total for phone internet and TV services through Charter. I called to have just the TV services disconnected on the 1st of October. We were only get basic expanded services and when I shut them off,  our bill went from $210 to a mere $69 for the month total for only getting internet and phone, which I don't think is that bad. The price difference between the 2 bills though is what has me in awe. We only were getting 80+ channels nothing premium and that cost about 150 a month?

    I went a bought the kids Roku 1 receivers from Walmart for $35 each. Got one for Dylan's room and one for Jasmine/Sofia's room. I think these things are awesome and why didn't I know about them before?  Streaming TV in my opinion saves a ton of money, Netflix is only $7.99 a month for just streaming although I recently found out after buying the Roku 1 receivers for the kids that you can only stream on 2 devices at the same time before they ask you to upgrade. Upgrading to 4 devices only costs 11.99 per month.  Not only is there Netflix though , you can add other channels for free like PBS kids which I thought was awesome. Then there is YouTube which you can find basically anything to watch and make your own channels on it.

    So that lends me to this question that has been eating my brain, why do we pay for cable TV? why does anyone? To me its extremely over priced and there are tons more better options available. I don't know about you but I'm just not that into throwing my money away.

~Jessie

1 comment:

  1. My husband has spent a lot of time on the phone with Dish trying to get down to a plan with just what we need. It took a lot of work on his part but we do have HD channels and local channels and are paying $55/mo. Although, they don't tell you about all their plans and you really have to work at trying to get on a cheaper one.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment, I love them :)